Brisket and Roasted Broccoli
This was a pretty easy dinner and full of flavor! I was thinking you could probably also use a roast instead of brisket depending on what you have on hand. I think I’ll try it with roast next time since I have a few in the freezer.
The brisket recipe is from The Food Lovers Kitchen:
- 2 lb Beef Brisket
- 15 oz Tomato Sauce, (no salt)
- 1 tsp Dried Basil, to taste
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano, to taste
- 1 Onion, chopped
- /2 tsp Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cover the bottom of a braising pan with chopped onion.
- Place brisket over the onion.
- Sprinkle the brisket on either side generously with salt, pepper, dried basil, and dried oregano.
- Place brisket in the oven for 1 hour, uncovered.
- Remove brisket from oven, and reduce oven temp to 325 degrees.
- Pour tomato sauce over brisket, and sprinkle again with salt, pepper, basil and oregano.
- Cover braising pan with a lid, and cook for a remaining 4 hours at 325 degrees.
**If you are a cooking novice like me, a braising pan looks like this: Mine is from Costco which is much cheaper than the Le Crueset brand.
Roasted Broccoli comes from Paleo Comfort Foods cookbook and is by far my favorite!
Preheat oven to 500
Put adequate size casserole dish in oven while it’s preheating. Use the lowest rack setting your oven has.
- Fat of choice (I have used olive oil as well as clarified butter, both are good, but the butter is better)
- 1-2 cloves garlic (I use 1-2 cubes of the awesome frozen garlic)
- enough broccoli for the 3 of people you are feeding.
note: If I am making this just for myself I will fill a 9 x 6 pan with broccoli and have no problem eating it all
- In a large bowl coat the broccoli with fat of choice and garlic
- When oven is preheated carefully remove hot pan and place broccoli in it
- Return to oven and cook for 11 minutes